I’m a sucker for quick-fix breakfast dishes. Like this one. Much as I love our idlis, dosas, adais and other traditional power breakfast dishes, I also like to explore breakfast/tiffin options from other ethnic cultures, and this is one such dish that I absolutely love. If you haven’t heard of Mandakki upma earlier, you will not guess the main ingredient in it. Mandakki is ‘puffed rice’. Yes, a breakfast dish made with puffed rice! Sounds novel? For the people of North Karnataka though, this is staple diet…something that they churn from their cook-pot just as often as we make our idlis and dosas. What’s more, the recipe is very adaptable too. If you don’t have the veggies on hand, just give it a simple tadka with hing, mustard seeds, jeera, green chillies, curry leaves; add coriander and a dash of lime juice after you remove from the flame and the Mandakki upma will be just as deliciously lip-smacking. Whatever goes for you…come on now, get those creative juices flowing a bit. Continue reading
- "You can't just eat good food. You've got to talk about it too. And you've got to talk about it to somebody who understands that kind of food." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
I’m a Free-spirit Blogger
My favourite feeds
- Super Moist Banana Nut Loaf February 16, 2015
- Black Forest Gateaux! April 30, 2013
- 3 Layer Rosette Cake February 19, 2015
- Kalasida Avalakki March 12, 2018
- Millet Flour Pancakes Recipe Step by Step March 17, 2018
- Easy Rava Kesari (OPOS) March 9, 2018
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Kadala Curry for Puttu | Simple Kadala Curry without Coconut January 16, 2018
- Easy Tiramisu (No Raw Eggs, No Alcohol) March 1, 2017