These are just some cookery tips which I thought everyone would find useful. Some might already be known to you, some may not. I will keep adding more and more as and when I can.
You could contribute too! Feel free to email me your tip and I can add it here on your behalf, or alternately, you could even pen it down as a comment on this page.
- Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves) added to gravies (not more than 1 tsp) enhances the taste but a little extra may turn the gravy bitter.
- To thicken gravies and also add flavour to the gravy, grind 1-2 tbsp of soaked cashew nuts or almonds or magaz (watermelon seeds) or chironji to a fine paste. Add to the gravy and relish the difference it makes.
- If your gravy becomes too salty, make a few small balls of atta (chappati dough) and put them in the gravy. Give 2-3 boils. Let them remain for some time in the curry. Before serving remove these balls which have absorbed the extra salt.
- When adding curd to curries, always remember to beat the curd. Remove the masala from fire when adding the curd or milk to the masala. Stir well to mix. Return to low heat.
- To preserve chopped onion for 3-4 hours, apply salt to it, wash it in water & squeeze out water.
- Place 5-6 pieces of the Clove spice or Laung in the sugar and semolina jars. This will keep them free from ants.
- Let the tadka cool before mixing it with raitas which contain yoghurt /curd.
- To remove skin of garlic cloves easily, apply little oil to them.
- While making chapattis, place a kitchen towel under the rolling board. This way the board will not slip and you will be able to roll faster!