- Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves) added to gravies (not more than 1 tsp) enhances the taste but a little extra may turn the gravy bitter.
- To thicken gravies and also add flavour to the gravy, grind 1-2 tbsp of soaked cashew nuts or almonds or magaz (watermelon seeds) or chironji to a fine paste. Add to the gravy and relish the difference it makes.
- If your gravy becomes too salty, make a few small balls of atta (chappati dough) and put them in the gravy. Give 2-3 boils. Let them remain for some time in the curry. Before serving remove these balls which have absorbed the extra salt.
- When adding curd to curries, always remember to beat the curd. Remove the masala from fire when adding the curd or milk to the masala. Stir well to mix. Return to low heat.
- To preserve chopped onion for 3-4 hours, apply salt to it, wash it in water & squeeze out water.
- Place 5-6 pieces of the Clove spice or Laung in the sugar and semolina jars. This will keep them free from ants.
- Let the tadka cool before mixing it with raitas which contain yoghurt /curd.
- To remove skin of garlic cloves easily, apply little oil to them.
- While making chapattis, place a kitchen towel under the rolling board. This way the board will not slip and you will be able to roll faster!
- "You can't just eat good food. You've got to talk about it too. And you've got to talk about it to somebody who understands that kind of food." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
I’m a Free-spirit Blogger
My favourite feeds
- Super Moist Banana Nut Loaf February 16, 2015
- Black Forest Gateaux! April 30, 2013
- Eggplant Cashewnut Poriyal July 5, 2018
- Moar Canerik Oorugai - Canerik Fruit Pickle June 20, 2018
- Work-Life-Baby Balance June 20, 2018
- Easy Carrot Peas Pulao July 16, 2018
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies June 6, 2018
- Easy Tiramisu (No Raw Eggs, No Alcohol) March 1, 2017