So how many of you eventually guessed right about what I made with those ‘yummy in the tummy’ Palak Pakoras? Yes, I made my version of Kadi Pakodi with them alright. Is that what you guessed I did? I know some of you did, from the comments you left me. Yoohoo! Full brownie points for knowing me well. No really, I mean the ‘brownie’ bit all the way. ‘Cos my dears, I have some piquant and divine brownies for you today. What’s more, they’re cocoa brownies so they’re really really easy-peasy to make as well. You cannot get away without making these. There’s no escaping now. Muhuhahaha! *evil roaring laughter*😀
EGGLESS Chocolate Fudge Brownies (with cocoa)
(Adapted from: Chef in You)
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
Baking duration: 30-40 minutes
Baking Temperature: 180°C/350°F
Makes: 16 brownie squares (2″ square each)
- All-purpose flour (APF)/Maida – 1/2 cup
- Baking powder (BP) – 3/4 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Cocoa powder –1/2 cup + 2 tbsps
- Butter – 3/4 cup
- Light brown sugar – 1 cup
- Flax seed powder – 2 tbsps
- Warm Water – 6 tbsps
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Toasted Walnuts, roughly chopped – 1 cup
- In place of APF + BP + Salt, you could use 1/2 a cup of Self-rising flour if it is easily available where you live.
- In place of the flax seeds and warm water, you could use 2 eggs.
- If using eggs, add a pinch of salt while beating the eggs.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/350°F. Line an 8-inch square pan with wax/parchment paper with sufficient overhangs on both sides and set aside.
- Put the flax seed powder and warm water together in a bowl and set aside till it develops a gelatinous texture, about 5 minutes.
- Heat the butter in a flat saucepan until just melted. Remove from heat.
- Sift the cocoa and stir in with the melted butter. Set aside to cool.
- Beat together the flax seed mixture (or eggs), brown sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl.
- Stir in the melted butter + cocoa mixture.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt. Fold it into the mixture.
- Stir in the toasted and chopped walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the readied pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted has moist crumbs sticking to it. It will still look soft and wet but it will cook further while cooling. Allow to cool completely on a wire-rack. This requires a lot of patience I know. But be patient you must.
- Once cool, lift from the pan with the help of the wax/parchment paper overhangs, and cut into 16 squares.
Serving suggestions: Dusted with icing sugar (or) frosted with chocolate ganache (or) generously topped with chocolate sauce, dripping on all sides (or) served warm with vanilla/chocolate ice cream (or) dig in just plain. Pick any one or all. They’re equally tempting. If you ask me, you should try all the options one by one, till you finish the entire batch. Or if you’re like me, pack them off to the husband’s office and take more pleasure in his colleagues thanking you for the unexpected treat. Both options are immensely joyful. Who’d say no to gooey, chocolatey, warm brownies you think? No one in their right mind atleast😉
So until the next one then. Much love.