Sunday. Happy. Sunday.
Yay yay yayyy, it’s a beautiful day.
It’s a Sunday, and I’m letting you feast on my Sundae. And it is a grilled mango sundae at that. Hah! Could this get any better? I’m a big big fan of the king of fruits. And his highness is not called the ‘King’ for nothing. Raise your hand if you agree. Good. I’ll let you in on the this simple recipe now, mainly b’cos my ice cream is starting to melt and the warm gooey mangoes must be eaten right away. Excuse me please. You can go and read the recipe though, I won’t come in the way. I promise.
Grilled Mango Sundae
(Recipe Adapted from Vegetarian Times)
- Ripe Mango – 1 large, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices (I used an Alphonso mango)
- Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Cooking oil – to brush the grill
- Vanilla Ice-cream – as required
Serves: 2 persons
Note: You could try this even with plums, peaches, pineapples, papayas…get creative all you like. If you’re trying it with pineapples/papayas, sprinkle with lime juice and then douse in the spices (cardamom powder/allspice). All I can say is, you will hit some really high notes in the end 😉
- Sprinkle mango slices with cardamom powder and let sit for about 15-20 minutes so the mangoes can soak in the flavour.
- Brush the grill with oil (to prevent the mango from sticking to it later on) and turn it on to heat up.
- Place marinated mangoes on hot grill. Close, and cook on high heat 5 to 7 minutes, or until grill marks appear on fruit. Don’t even think of leaving the kitchen during this time. The sweet aroma wafting from the grill is to die for. Stay rooted.
- Transfer grilled mango slices to serving bowls. Top with scoops of ice cream. Serve immediately.
How easy-peasy is that! And the result: Y.U.M.V.I.L.L.E. Now that you’ve seen this recipe, do me a favour. Go to the market, get yourself some ripe mangoes and make this for your dessert tonight. Trust me, that trip to the market will be totally worth it.
See that pic above? There’s a sequel to it – of the plate licked up clean. But honestly, I was too ashamed to put it. (Having unabashedly admitted it doesn’t make me look any better, does it? Please don’t judge me. Okay?). Alright, you have to stop staring at the screen and get going to the market. NOW.
PS: Now that I’m onto this, watch out for some insanely delicious mango mania here.
PPS: On a completely tangential note, Daddy loves loves loves Mangoes, so isn’t this post just perfect for today? Happy Father’s Day Daddy dearest. Love you. You are the best!