Another feather in Daddy’s cap! He made this new kind of pickle couple of days back and I promised to put it up here for him. It is absolutely tongue-tickling with its tangy, spicy flavours. Tastes out-of-the-world with curd rice/thayir chaadam! Thanks Daddy!
- Shallots/Pearl Onions – 250 gms (or) 1/4 kilo (cleaned/de-skinned)
- Salt – 3-4 tsps
- Green Chillies – 3-4 nos, slit
- Lime juice – from 3-4 limes
- Red Chilli powder – 3 heaped tsps
For the Tempering:
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a generous pinch
- Oil – 2 tsps
- Ensure the shallots are clean and dry. Put them into a dry bowl and stir-in, in the same order – salt, slit green chillies and lastly lime juice. Stir well with a dry spoon and allow to rest an hour (stir 1-2 times in between).
- Stir-in the red chilli powder and allow to rest for 2 hours (stir 3-4 times in between).
- Prepare a tempering with the ingredients mentioned and add to the pickle. Stir well. Voila! Crunchy Onion Pickle is ready!
Can be enjoyed immediately. And of course, as with any other pickle, this one too gets better and better with age! One of the easiest pickles to put together if you asked me. Do try it and let us know if you liked it.