Most of you visiting daily must be wondering why Im eloquently posting breakfast recipes, that too emphasizing healthy ingredients. If you’ve done any guesswork, then you got it right…Im on this biggie ‘eat healthy’ spree this new year. Who says healthy meals cannot tickle your palette? Eating healthy certainly does not mean killing those poor taste-buds. Have some pity on them I’d say!
I tried this for the first time only today. Although I’d heard it being mentioned many a time before, I somehow din’t have the confidence that it would satiate my taste buds. But then I thought, why not! So this morning, I woke up all groggy eyed (‘cos I’d stayed up working into the wee hours last night) and went digging into my pantry, all set to make it as luscious as I could. And when I had the first mouthful, ooh-la-la…I had that giddy sense of accomplishment! So yayy for oats, and yayy for my ‘eat-healthy’ spree! Hope you enjoy this one.
- Quick-cooking Oats – 2 cups (toasted in the microwave for 2 minutes, or dry-roasted in a pan till fragrant)
- Onions – 3 nos (medium sized; finely chopped)
- Capsicum/Bell Pepper – 1 no (medium sized; finely chopped)
- Tomatoes – 3 nos (medium sized; finely chopped)
- Green Chillies – 3 nos (finely chopped)
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig, finely chopped
- Coriander/Cilantro – a handful, finely chopped
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Oil – 2 tsps
- Water – 4-5 cups
- Grated Coconut (optional – to garnish) – 2 tbsps
Serves: 2 persons
- In a wok, heat the oil and pop the mustard seeds. Add the asafoetida.
- Add the chopped onions, curry leaves and green chillies. Saute till tender.
- Add the chopped capsicum, and cook on a medium flame till done.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder and salt. Cook till mushy.
- Pour in the water and bring to a boil.
- Gradually stir-in the toasted oats and cook on a medium flame till the oats are done and the mixture comes together.
- Garnish with coriander/cilantro and grated coconut (if using). Enjoy it steaming hot!
This one too is going to Srivalli’s Kid’s Delight – Wholesome Breakfast Event. My friend tried this and she said her little one loved it; I hope your little ones like it too Srivalli!