I’ve been having this post sit in my drafts for quite some time now. I’d forgotten all about it and then, a close friend asked for the recipe for Garlic Bread, so I managed to look for it and finally hit the ‘Publish’ button! I do have the recipe to a less sinful and simpler version here. However, if you are in that indulgent mood which we all get into once in a while, feel free to give this a try :D.
- French bread loaf – 1 long loaf or 2-3 small ones (like the ones they use for hot-dogs/subs)
- Butter – 50 gms (softened, to make spreading on the bread easy)
- Garlic pods – 5-6 (pounded or crushed to a paste)
- Oregano herbs – 1/2 tsp
- Chilli flakes (optional) – 1/2 tsp (adjust to suit your taste)
- Salt – to taste
- Cilantro/Coriander (optional) – a small fistful (finely chopped)
- Grated Mozzarella Cheese – 2 tbsps (for each slice)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 C (390 F).
- Slit the french bread horizontally and keep aside. (If using the very long loaves to make this, also cut into sizable lengths)
- Get the spread ready by mixing together the butter, crushed garlic pods, oregano herbs and salt.
- Apply the spread lavishly on each cut slice of the bread.
- Sprinkle the cheese on the bread once you have applied the spread on the bread.
- Sprinkle the chilly flakes on the cheese, and lastly the coriander.
- Bake for about 6-8 minutes or until each slice is toasted to a light and crisp golden yellow. The time needed for the garlic bread to get done varies in each microwave oven since each has a different power. Adjust the time according to your oven.
- Allow to stand for a minute before you take them out of the oven and enjoy the hot, crisp and gooey garlic bread exotica!