I decided to bake a batch of these lip-smacking biscuits to go along with my evening chai, and they turned out really well. They come out all puffed up with a crunchy outside and soft, melting insides! So here you go…you must try these!
- Whole Wheat flour – 1 cup
- All purpose flour/Maida – 1 cup
- Butter (cool) – 1/3 cup
- Baking powder – 4 tsps
- Cheddar Cheese – 1 1/2 cups (shredded)
- Spring onions – 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
- Onion paste (optional) – from 2 nos
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 3/4 tsp
- Chilli powder (optional) – 1/2 tsp (I din’t add any)
- Milk – 1 cup
Serves: Makes 25 biscuits
- Pre-heat the oven to 230C (450F).
- In a large bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder, sugar, salt and chilli powder.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in the cheese, green onions and onion paste.
- Add milk just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Take a small portion of the dough, rub between your palms to form a ball and flatten. Repeat with rest of the dough.
- Place the biscuits 2″ apart on an ungreased cookie plate/sheet. (Do this in batches if there isn’t enough place on the plate).
- Bake at 230C for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, turn the biscuits upside down and bake at 230C for another 5 minutes till the biscuits turn golden brown.
- Once both sides have browned, remove from oven and immediately place on a cool plate/rack and allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm with garma-garam Masala Chai for a refreshing snack after a tiring day!