Last night, I was pondering over what to make for breakfast this morning. All the regular breakfast dishes had been prepared during the week, and I wanted something simple and easy to make…the weekend mood having set in, so had the laziness 😉
I suddenly remembered Dad’s Moong Dal Dosa formula. He has two ways to prepare the batter, one is to soak the dal overnight and grind in the morning, and the other is an instant formula. Since I had time, I decided to soak the dal overnight. These Moong Dal dosas are really healthy, easy to make and more over, love that distinct taste. When I was a small kid, I used to call this “Vegetarian Omlette”!! Do try it out… I’m sure you will agree with me that it does taste like omelettes 😀
This is an Andhra specialty and they usually serve it along with Upma. They call it Pesarittu-Upma.
- Split, Yellow Moong dal – 2 measures
- Urad Dal – 1/2 measure (soak along with moong dal)
- Rice – 1 measure
- Methi/Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp (soak along with rice)
- Green Chillies – 4 nos (alter this to suit your taste)
- Ginger – 1″ piece
- Coriander/Cilantro – a fistful (finely chopped)
- Onions (optional) – finely chopped
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Salt – to taste
***For the Instant Pesarittu better, soak only the moong dal and urad dal for 1 hour and grind to a smooth paste along with ginger, green chillies and coriander. Add salt and asafoetida, stir well. You could add finely chopped onions to the batter. Make the dosas as you normally would. Quick fix breakfast! ***
- Grind the soaked rice + methi seeds + ginger + green chillies + half of the coriander to a smooth paste. Pour into a deep vessel. Keep aside.
- Grind the soaked moong dal + urad dal mixture to a smooth paste. Add to the rice mixture.
- Add salt, asafoetida, remaining half of the finely chopped coriander. If you are adding onions, do so at this step. Stir well.
- You could allow the batter to rest for 1/2 hour, or choose to make the dosas immediately.
- Using a deep ladle, pour the batter onto a tawa/griddle and cook both sides on a medium flame.
- Your vegetarian omlettes are ready! Serve hot with tomato ketchup/hot and sweet chilli sauce 🙂