My husband’s team has a pot-luck lunch party at his workplace today and I sent in 4 items to add to their yummy and diverse menu. Here’s what I sent in – Vegan Chocolate Cake, Rich Chocolate Cake (with egg), Spinach-Corn Bake and Dahi paav (Bread dahi-vada).
This cake turned out really well. If you havent yet baked a chocolate cake because you or your family wont eat egg or any milk products, this recipe is just perfect for you! It is a must-try. It turns out really moist, soft and fluffy despite no eggs…baffles me how! Well, I’m not gonna waste time thinking about how the recipe works… I’m off now for a bite of this sinful cake!
The other recipes will follow…
Shubs, I’m dedicating this post to you 😀
- All purpose flour (or Maida) – 1 1/2 cups
- Unsweetened Cocoa powder – 1/4 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Baking Soda – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Cooking oil – 1/2 cup
- Warm water – 1 cup
- Distilled White Vinegar – 1 tbsp
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Instant Coffee powder (optional) – 2 tsps
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C /350°F. Line and grease a 9-inch round pan and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sifted mixture, sugar and instant coffee powder (if using).
- Add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla essence and stir with a balloon whisk until just combined.
- Pour batter into readied pan, and bake for 40 minutes or till done.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
I dusted the top of the cake with white icing sugar. Since this cake is not too sweet, the sugar dusting goes well with the the cake. You can choose to even frost the cake or just serve with a dollop of vanilla ice-cream and some hot chocolate sauce! Sounds sinful, doesn’t it?!! 😀