This is another dish that went in for the potluck party…one of my personal, all time favourites. I love to have it straight from the oven, along with garlic bread.
I did not get to take a picture with the final layer of mashed potatoes on. If you have any queries, please do get in touch with me.
- Onions – 4 nos (medium sized, finely chopped)
- Garlic – 10 pods (finely chopped; the quantity can be altered to suit your taste)
- Spinach – 6 bunches (medium sized; cleaned, dried and finely chopped)
- American Sweet Corn kernels – 250 gms (cooked with salt)
- Potatoes – 5 nos (medium sized; cooked and mashed to a smooth paste. Add little salt and keep aside)
- Mozzarella Cheese – 250 gms (grated)
- Salt – to taste
- Oregano – 1-2 tsps (to suit your taste)
- Cooking oil – 2 tsps
Serves: 4 persons (main course)
- Pre-heat the microwave to 180 deg C (350 deg F)
- In a wok, heat the oil and sauté the onions and garlic on a low flame, taking care not to burn the onions. After cooking, the onions should be tender looking.
- Add the salt and sauté for another minute.
- Add the spinach and allow to cook till the spinach has lost its raw flavour (do not use any water).
- Add the cooked corn kernels, stir well.
- Lastly, add the oregano and allow to cook for 3-5 minutes. Remove from flame and add 1/4 of the grated cheese. Stir well.
- Transfer to a microwaveable dish. Spread the remaining 3/4th part of grated cheese evenly over the spinach-corn mixture, ensuring that the entire surface is covered.
- Now, make the top-most and final layer with mashed potato. Evenly spread out the salted mashed potato over the spinach-corn mixture, fully covering the entire surface. Its like packing the entire dish with the mashed potato.
- Dot with butter and bake at 180 deg C for about 15-20 minutes. You will end up having a slightly crusty surface with soft insides.
- Serve hot with garlic bread and enjoy the cheesy explosions in your mouth! 😀
(Ensure each serving gets a spoonful from the top layer to the bottom. If just the top layer is scraped off, it wont do much for your taste buds)