If you are a weight-watcher, then this one’s for you. Well the good news is, even if you’re not, this one’s still for you. It’s for everybody, cos you cannot deprive yourself of such a delicious and healthy salad. It’s got granny smith apples, its got red delicious apples, its got radish, its got carrot, its got jackfruit, its got raw mango (keri), some pickled ginger (yes, this is where some of my Gari went!), a roasted cumin vinaigrette, some chopped parsley, and that’s it. Voila! Yeah, I’ve said it all so you don’t really need a recipe for this one now, do you? Would you still need me to sit and type it out all over again in an organised manner? If you just answered yes, I must admit that I’ve spoilt you guys rotten. But I love doing it, and that’s what I’m here for. So yeah, I’ll give you the detailed recipe all the same
Remember the Washing Apples Cooking Demo I’d attended earlier this year? If you read the post, you’d remember that I’d promised to share this Vicky Ratnani recipe with you. I’m keeping my part of the deal. What’s your’s? Simple – try this in your kitchen, and come tell me how much you
liked loved it too. I’m not asking for too much, am I?
Healthy Apple & Jack-fruit Salad
(Recipe Adapted from: Chef Vicky Ratnani’s Washington Apples Cooking Demo)
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Portion: Serves 2 persons
- Granny Smith Apple – 1 no, cleaned and cored
- Red Delicious Apple – 1 no, cleaned and cored
- Raw Mango (optional) – a small portion, with peel removed
- White/Pink Radish – 1 no, cleaned and peel removed
- Carrot – 1 no, cleaned and peel removed
- Jack-fruit – 8 – 10 segments, de-seeded
- Iceberg Lettuce (optional) – a fistful, julienned (I didn’t use any)
- Arugula (rocket) Lettuce – a few leaves, cleaned (I didn’t use any)
- Sushi Ginger – 2-3 slices (see how to)
- Parsley - a fistful, finely chopped
- Lime juice – from 1 lime (to prevent the apples from oxidising)
- Green Chilly (optional) – 1 no, finely chopped
- Cherry Tomatoes (optional) – 2-3 nos, for the garnish
For the Vinaigrette
- Apple-cider Vinegar – 2 tbsps
- Olive Oil – 4 tbsps
- Roasted Cumin powder – 2 tsps (roasted cumin, powdered)
- Salt – to taste
Some nifty tips on making a good Vinaigrette -
Ground Rule one: 1 part Vinegar: 2 parts Oil.
Ground Rule two: Add salt + choice of seasoning* and then vinegar. Mix well. Lastly, add the oil and give it a good whisk.
*Choice of Seasoning can be green chillies, parsley, coriander, roasted cumin powder, pepper. Get creative. Experiment. And you’ll be adding more to this list of seasonings sooner than you think.
- Thinly slice (with a mandolin) and julienne the raw mango and radish. Put into a large salad bowl and set aside.
- Julienne the jack-fruit segments and sushi ginger . Add to the bowl.
- Using a peeler, make carrot ribbons and add them to the bowl. It will take some getting used to, but you will eventually get there. Add to the bowl and set the bowl in the fridge. (Remember to always add the apples in last to prevent browning).
- Add the lettuce and chopped green chilly (if using) to the bowl.
- Make the vinaigrette as mentioned in the note till it comes together. Set aside.
- Thinly slice (with a mandolin) and julienne both the apples, sprinkle the lime juice on them and immediately add to the salad bowl.
- Pour the readied vinaigrette over the vegetables and toss to incorporate.
How easy is that to pull off, eh? Chaka-chak. Phata-phat. Dhana-dhan.
Serve with a good entrée, or just simply dig in. I ate mine straight from the big bowl. Yeah I did take pictures of it first though, to show to you guys. The wait nearly killed me I tell you.
Psst…In my next post I will be talking about the benefits of Olive Oil and an interesting experience I had at an Olive Oil Tasting Event. Don’t rub your eyes. I did ‘taste‘ 6 different types of Olive oil and I’m going to ramble all about it, so you wouldn’t want to miss the post for the world.
What are you still doing here? I thought I heard you in the kitchen chopping up those apples. No? Well then, run along atleast now. Don’t forget your part of the deal.